Skip to main content

Cookie Says an inspiration to share


Last week, I viewed a video ad from a link posted by a Facebook friend. The video featured a new commercial of Lemon Square that "gives us that warm, fuzzy feeling with an unlikely love story that ends with a twist..." as written by Isa Rodriguez.


What's so special about this video other than the fact that it has been generating good reviews? Well, Mariel, the female endorser is the daughter of my long lost friend, Vicky. That, I discovered after watching the video, and browsing through the thread of comments while stalking (ssshhhh....) the FB friend's timeline (sorry, Willie, I couldn't help it!). Now, that struck my chest point-blank. Viewing the video over and over again suddenly made me miss Mariel's mom.  Memories of the past came alive once more.


That's Vicky, my best friend in college. It's been years! But then after all those years, I now realize, I am not the best of friend for her. How could I be, after missing her wedding and her last days on earth? I never even had any idea of the suffering she went through before traveling on to another life. Recalling the past is too painful for me now. The tears are now falling. So before I get drowned in the pangs of guilt, let me just show you a few reminders I have of her during our days as nursing students. So glad to have found these in the pages of my photo album. Sad to realize though we had very few photos of us together (either I was holding the camera or she was on the other half of the class at a different location or the resolution of the photos are not good enough for posting. Bless the persons who took those photos.) Now I'm left with these very few worth posting. 


In simplicy, there is beauty.


Slim and sexy

Vicky and Yamie

One of the very few poses we had together as a batch

The capping ceremony--- a step to the fulfilment of our goal 

 Anolin-Benzon-Caro-Custodio-Divina-Gauan-Ginzales-Mata-Oviedo-Rosal-Tallafer... so the roll call goes. The queue during the Capping Ceremony was no exception. Mine was always the last name to be called.


All studying and no play make nursing students' life a great bore

We used to take the bus or jeepney together everyday to and from school. We would spend sleepless nights in her house or my room with other girl classmates for a group study before major exams and long hours in the library, waiting for our crushes from the College of Law while pretending to read our books. She was imbued with a good sense of humor, like me, that's why we clicked. Oh, yes, we shared a lot of fun, tears and laughter until we graduated from college.

Vicky with classmates (Lulu and Rose) and medical intern in a community practicum
in Bay, Laguna where she met for the first time the man
who eventually became the love of her life


I just love this photo of her taken just before our college graduation.



What's the next best thing after receiving one's diploma? 

Passing the nursing licensure exam, of course, and taking an oath as a professional nurse!


Very thoughtful she was, even after she got married. I received this card from her.



Once she visited me at the dormitory where I stayed as a young nurse in the hospital where I work. She brought along her eldest daughter, a toddler then. That was the last time I saw her. We got lost in our separate lives again, though I remember calling her to say hello several times in her home where she would share with me about her private practice in support of her husband's profession.





Simply beautiful, you are, 
Ma. Victoria Rosal-de la Cruz.
The memories linger.
My tribute to you, 
on this your birthday.

And finally... a page from my slumbook


Yes, indeed,
"friendship is a golden chain that grows stronger each day, ... each year."
With you, Vicky, it has grown beyond life!
I need not see nor feel it now, not even in the days to come,
I stay content at the thought of us having shared it together then, my friend!

"Sometimes, the best words aren't said. They're shared."
-Cookie Says by Lemon Square Cupcakes

Comments

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.